Sunday, September 24, 2017
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Shots fired and gun sighting trigger MU Alerts

The evenings of Aug. 27 and 28 were characterized by MU alerts warning students of potential gun threats.

First, on Aug. 27, an older white Toyota Camry with five passengers drove past Lathrop Hall at 7:21 p.m. Three MU students were walking by the residence hall at the same time and said they observed that a passenger behind the driver’s seat had a black pistol, according to MU alert.

The gun that was noted by the pedestrians was not aimed at anyone, nor were any bullets fired. The Camry continued to drive north on Tiger Avenue.

MU police officers inspected the surrounding campus area but found no sign of the car matching the description or any sign of gun-related disturbance.

The man wielding the firearm was described by witnesses as wearing a white T-shirt and having shaggy brown hair.

Then, on Aug. 28, MU alert sent out a notification that shots rang out at the intersection of Hitt and Cherry streets. University police responded to the area at about 10:50 p.m., according to the dispatch log. Officers recovered one shell casing at the scene.

Police are looking for four men around 20 years old driving a silver 4-door Nissan in connection to the gunfire. The car was last seen driving near Campus Bar and Grill at Ninth and Elm streets, according to the MU alert.

Columbia police officers determined at 11:45 p.m. there was no threat to campus, according to an update posted on the MU Alert website.

MUPD Office Alex Robinson said police combed through the surrounding area but were unable to spot the car.

It is not determined whether these two incidents are related, and both are currently under investigation.