Sunday, September 24, 2017
News on a local and national level that matters to students.

Planned Parenthood advocates to flush Columbia with pink

Columbia will be one of 230 areas thinking pink Tuesday afternoon, in response to national controversy regarding the ethics of Planned Parenthood. Speakers Circle will hold the first national “Pink Out Day,” hosted by the Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri.

The day’s purpose is “to demonstrate the essential role Planned Parenthood plays in the community,” a Sept. 28 PPKM release stated. Those involved will wear pink in support of the cause.

Since the controversy, the MU School of Medicine cut ties with PPKM, and MU Health Care voted to end “refer and follow” privileges. This event gives Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin and MU Health Care a chance to hear students defending their rights to Planned Parenthood education and health care access, President and CEO of PPKM Laura McQuade said in the release.

“Tomorrow, Missourians will come together at MU to urge Chancellor Loftin to stand up for the rights of students and the lives of all Missourians by reinstating privileges for Planned Parenthood's physician and medical training agreements with Planned Parenthood,” McQuade said in the release.

McQuade is listed to speak at the event, as well as Molly Housh Gordon, Unitarian Universalist Church of Columbia minister, and social work graduates Dina Van Der Zalm and Jordan Hoyt. The event will start at 4:30 p.m. and will last an hour.

Follow The Maneater for updates on this story.