Thursday, December 18, 2014
Daily coverage of crime on the MU campus and across Columbia.

Columbia Fire Department fights two alarm fire overnight

The Columbia Fire Department responded to a Thursday night commercial structure fire at Sound Performance on Indiana Avenue.

According to a Columbia Fire Department news release, Public Safety Joint Communications advised that they had originally received a police alarm at Sound Performance, but when officers arrived on the scene they found heavy smoke coming from the garage.

Firefighters arrived on the scene at 10:17 p.m. and found fire and smoke coming from a garage door. They entered the building to attack the fire but encountered heavy fire conditions and were forced to back out. As the firefighters exited the building, the fire broke through the roof of the building and the incident commander requested a second alarm, bringing three additional fire engines and an air resupply truck to the scene.

Because the scene was no longer safe to enter, firefighters attacked the fire from the outside with use lines and aerial ladders. It took approximately one hour to bring the fire under control, according to the release.

Fire crews remained at the scene overnight and fire investigators returned to the scene early this morning. The building appears to be a total loss, and damages may exceed $300,000.

Twenty-five firefighters, six fire engines, a ladder truck and a rescue squad responded to the blaze. Despite below freezing temperatures and a steady wind, there were no injuries.