Friday, April 18, 2014
Posted to Police Beat by Kelsey Maffett on May 15, 2012 at 3:52 p.m.

Missouri quarterback arrested on suspicion of hit-and-run

Mugshot

Missouri redshirt freshman quarterback Corbin Berkstresser was arrested early Tuesday on suspicion of leaving the scene of an accident.

Columbia police officers were dispatched to an accident in the 2900 block of Lynnwood Drive at about 1 a.m. after Berkstresser, 20, hit a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue parked on the curb while driving, according to police reports. Berkstresser later admitted his involvement in the accident, in which nobody was hurt, and was arrested at 3:34 a.m. and taken to Boone County Jail.

Berkstresser was released Tuesday after posting bail, which was set at $4,500.

According to state law, leaving the scene of an accident is a Class A misdemeanor unless it results in physical injury to the other party or the damage caused exceeds $1,000. In such cases, it qualifies as a Class D felony.

Last September, cornerback Tristen Holt was arrested after an accident at a Drury Inn parking lot on Barnadette Drive from which he drove away from. His arrest resulted in coach Gary Pinkel removing him from the team.

Berkstresser spent much of the spring as the Tigers' No. 1 signal-caller after sophomore quarterback James Franklin underwent shoulder surgery. Junior Ashton Glaser is the only other quarterback under scholarship on roster with recruit Maty Mauk from Kenton, Ohio, set to join the team this summer.

The MU Athletic Department has not released a statement regarding the matter.

Reader comments