Daily coverage of crime on the MU campus and across Columbia.

Freshman quarterback arrested after scooter incident

Mugshot

Missouri freshman quarterback Maty Mauk was arrested on various charges Thursday after hitting multiple vehicles on his scooter Wednesday night.

MU Police Department spokesman Brian Weimer said the incident began when Mauk ran a stop sign at the intersection of Curtis Avenue and Kentucky Boulevard.

"The officer tried to stop him and (Mauk) failed to stop and continued on his scooter," he said.

Mauk continued on his scooter through the nearby residence hall area and ended up in the parking lot between the Sigma Kappa house and the Alpha Tau Omega annex. Mauk had two unidentified female passengers on his scooter, neither of which were wearing helmets, Weimer said. Mauk hit multiple vehicles in the parking lot and left on foot.

"Through the investigation, we determined who it was," Weimer said. "He came to the department at about 11 a.m. today."

Mauk was charged with leaving the scene of a motor vehicle accident, resisting arrest by flight, operating a vehicle in a careless and imprudent manner involving an accident and failure to obey a traffic control device. He was taken to Boone County Jail, where he posted $1,000 bond and was released.

Mauk finished practicing with the team through August as the depth chart’s No. 3 quarterback. He came to Columbia from Kenton, Ohio, where he became the all-time high school passing leader at Kenton High School. The arrest comes two days before Missouri opens its 2012 season with visiting Southeastern Louisiana on Saturday.

Team spokesman Chad Moller said the team was aware of the incident and would address it internally.