Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Daily coverage of crime on the MU campus and across Columbia.

Woman threatened with knife near Fazoli’s

At 5:48 p.m. Oct.18, Columbia police officers arrested Jemell Dupree Butler, 19, in connection to a sexual assault involving a weapon.

Police said Butler threatened a 25-year-old female with a knife, demanding her to perform a sexual act, according to a CPD news release.

The release stated the investigation revealed that the suspect and the victim arranged to meet after contacting each other online. The two were located at the 1100 block of I-70 Drive Southwest inside of the victim’s car when the man pulled out a knife intending to scare the victim into performing a sexual act.

The victim and the man fought for the knife, which led to the suspect receiving deep cuts on his hands. When the victim attempted to call the police, the man stole her cell phone and ran from the scene on foot, according to the press release.

The victim survived the incident with no injuries from the knife, drove to Fazoli’s restaurant and contacted Public Safety Joint Communications at 5:40 p.m. to report a sexual assault with a weapon, according to the news release.

Soon after she called, the officers made contact with Butler while arriving to the area. Butler matched the description of the suspect and was arrested on multiple charges.