Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Daily coverage of crime on the MU campus and across Columbia.

Suspects in bomb threat on Stadium Boulevard on Thursday under detainment.

A man has been arrested by the Columbia Police Department officials in conjunction to a car bomb threat Thursday night along Stadium Boulevard.

Sean David Rodgers, 33, has been charged with unlawful transportation of a weapon and with tampering with a vehicle. The Mid-Missouri Bomb squad assessed the explosive device that was located in his car and discovered that it was road flare connected to a starter fluid canister.

After finding the incendiary device in the four-door car, the Columbia police officers has reopened Stadium Boulevard between West Boulevard and Carrie Franke Drive four hours.

The Columbia Police Department received a phone call about a possible explosive device in a car earlier in the day. Police arrived at the house, and about 20 minutes after their arrival the white four-door vehicle containing a man and woman left.

The bomb squad was called to assess a potential car bomb near the intersection of Stadium and West boulevards after police officials pulled a couple over at 5:46 p.m.

While the bomb squad investigated the threat at Stadium Blvd. the busy road was shut down for four hours and CPD officials were turning around drivers.

After investigating the device is the car, the Bomb Squad affirmed that it was an improvised incendiary device but did not detonate it.

CPD eventually reopened the stretch of road that was shut down after 10 p.m.