Sunday, September 24, 2017
Daily coverage of crime on the MU campus and across Columbia.

Five hospitalized after vehicle accident, two sexual assaults reported downtown and MU tested emerge

Football Collision

Four MU football players, including Terry Beckner Jr., Trevon Walters, Desean Blair and Keyon Dilosa, were involved in a minor collision at the intersection of University and College avenues at around 3:52 p.m. on Sept. 18.

The football players were all riding in the same SUV when it struck the right side of Whitney McCaully’s Ford Explorer. After being struck by the SUV, the Explorer swerved until one wheel was on the road median, and the SUV knocked down a crosswalk post.

McCaully and her passengers, her children ages one and four, were all taken to Boone Hospital shortly after the accident occurred. Dilosa and Beckner Jr. were assessed and treated medically at the scene of the accident while Blair and Walters were transported to the university hospital for further evaluation as a precautionary measure. Only Beckner Jr. played in the football game Sept. 19 against the University of Connecticut.

Emergency Notification Test

MU tested their emergency notification systems at 12:50 p.m. Sept. 18. During the alert ALERTUS beacons flashed for 10 seconds. The alarm also tested the ALERTUS and Blackboard system features.

Downtown Sexual Assaults

Two sexual assaults that occurred in downtown Columbia were reported to the Columbia Police Department on the morning of Sept. 19.

One woman reported being assaulted inside of a parking garage on Eighth and Cherry streets at 1:50 a.m. The second incident took place at 3 a.m. after a woman accepted a ride and was assaulted by the driver of the vehicle.

Both incidents of sexual assault are being investigated by the CPD.