Barack Obama re-elected as President of the United States

Barack Obama re-elected as President of the United States At around 10:30 p.m. tonight, the Associated Press projected that Barack Obama was elected to a second term as President of the United States, defeating Republican challenger and former Governor of Massachusetts Mitt Romney. The result was announced after President Obama won all 18 of Ohio's electoral votes, putting his campaign over the 270 vote threshold needed to win the presidency. The crucial swing state capped a night in which Obama took six of the ...

Eight states to Obama; President leads race 64-40

After the 8:00 p.m. EST polls closed, the Associated Press is reporting that President Barack Obama has won Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, his home state of Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Obama also took three of the four electoral college votes from Maine, which is one of two states (Nebraska being the other) who does not delegate its electoral votes on a winner-take-all basis. Gov. Mitt Romney won the race in Oklahoma. ...

South Carolina goes to Romney, extends lead to 33-3

The Associated Press is reporting that Gov. Mitt Romney has won the vote in South Carolina. The former governor of Massachusetts now holds a 33-3 lead in the electoral college over incumbent President Barack Obama. Seventeen states closed their polls at 7 p.m., and the results of those races are still pending.

Romney takes Indiana, leads electoral votes 24-3

CNN is projecting that with 14 percent of precincts reporting, Gov. Mitt Romney has won Indiana's 11 electoral votes, pushing his lead to 24-3 over President Barack Obama. Obama won the state in the 2008 presidential election against Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz. Indiana is the first state to switch parties from 2008's results.

Romney takes West Virginia, leads race with 13 electoral votes

The Associated Press is reporting that Gov. Mitt Romney has won the race in West Virginia, boosting his early lead to 13-3 over President Obama. This is the fourth straight election in which West Virginia's electoral votes have gone to the Republican candidate. The last time the state voted for a Democratic candidate for president was in the 1996 election, when it supported President Bill Clinton.

First US Senate polls

Texas County has results, with Republican candidate Todd Akin up 54 percent to 40 percent over incumbent Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo. Akin has 574 votes, McCaskill has 429 and Libertarian candidate Jonathan Dine has 59 votes. Texas County is in south-central Missouri and has a population of 25,936 people. Monroe County also has results, with Akin up 193 votes over McCaskill's 151. Monroe County is in northeast Missouri and has a population of 8,734. Independent ...

First nationwide polls close; Kentucky to Romney, Vermont to Obama

Polls on the East Coast closed at 6 p.m. this evening, and CNN is projecting that President Barack Obama will carry Vermont's three electoral votes, while Gov. Mitt Romney will take Kentucky's eight electoral votes. With 4 percent of precincts reporting, 66 percent of the votes in Kentucky are for Romney and 32 percent are for Obama. To win, either candidate needs 270 total electoral college votes.

Closing statements

In President Obama's last debate, he started with his last four years in office, having to dig the country out of two wars and the recent economic downfall. He said his goals include getting America to have the best education system in the world, training workers for the jobs of tomorrow and researching energy sources of the future. He restated that after a decade of war, it is time to focus on America at home, ...

The rise of China: What is the greatest future threat to the national security of the U.S.?

Obama called China an adversary and a potential partner, saying China needs to "play by the rules." He mentioned cases America brought against China, including a tire scam. Romney said a nuclear Iran is the biggest national security threat. He said China, like the U.S., wants a stable world without war and chaos. On day one, he will label China a currency manipulator. "They are hacking into our computers, stealing our patents and counterfeiting American ...

What if the deadline for withdrawing U.S. troops comes and the Afghans aren't prepared to take over?

Romney opened this question, saying American troops will be out of Afghanistan in 2014. "There's no reason Americans should die when Afghans are capable of defending their own country," Obama said. He said after a decade of war, it's time to focus on nation building at home, an agenda that includes rebuilding roads and schools, putting veterans back to work and educating veterans. Is it time for the U.S. to divorce Pakistan? Romney said it ...