Tuesday, September 26, 2017
Follow The Maneater's coverage as the UM system Board of Curators meets at MU on Thursday and Friday. The board is the governing body of the four-campus university system, which includes MU, UM-Kansas City, UM-St. Louis and Missouri University of Science and Technology.

Forsee, curators remain tight-lipped on conference realignment

UM system President Gary Forsee takes questions on MU's possible move from the Big 12, after the Board of Curators meeting Friday. Forsee gave few details on the conference realignment, but pledged MU's "continued loyalty" to working with Big 12 members. Travis Cornejo/Senior Staff Photographer

UM system President Gary Forsee and Board of Curators Chairwoman Judith Haggard addressed conference realignment concerns at a news conference Friday after the curators' public meeting. Haggard said there has been no update in Big 10 discussions since Thursday.

“Our people are doing their very best to represent the university,” Haggard said. “That’s about all I can tell you.”

Forsee also refused to comment on details of MU's possible departure from the Big 12. The UM system president said they have stayed on top of national conference developments since talks first surfaced last year.

“We have done our homework on the University of Missouri’s standing nationally,” Forsee said.

Both Haggard and Forsee said the only hard fact available to the Board of Curators was the University of Colorado’s announcement of its move to the Pac-10 on Thursday.

“The lack of information really shouldn’t be a surprise at the end of the day,” Forsee said.

Forsee said, as a fan, he understands the frustration, but that MU still has to abide by contractual obligations to the Big 12. He also said he refused to speculate on the future of the Big 12 and said MU has strong relationships with other members of the Big 12.

“We have relationships at multiple levels,” Forsee said.

The conference concluded with discussions on the lack of salary increases for faculty and staff. For the third consecutive year, compensation will not see an increase, but Forsee said it remains one of their highest priorities.

The remaining board members met in executive session during the press conference.