Thursday, April 24, 2014
Posted to Live Blog: June 2012 Board of Curators Meeting by Hunter Woodall on June 26, 2012 at 1:52 p.m.

Curators meeting begins, protest to take place outside of meeting

The UM System Board of Curators began itsfirst session of a two-day set of meetings by discussing retirement plans for new and old employees.

A planned protest by supporters of the Missouri Press is taking place outside of the meeting. The UM System announced May 24 the press would be disbanded. Professors and press advocates have risen up against the press being disbanded.

The MU News Bureau released this statement yesterday regarding the press controversy.

"Various individuals have expressed concern regarding this action and have mistakenly attributed the decision to the University of Missouri-Columbia," the statement said. "In addition, some have erroneously linked the decision to the budget of the MU athletic program. There is no relationship between the two budgets, historically or currently."

Reader comments
June 26, 2012
at 6:30 p.m.

Ned Stuckey-French: "In addition, some have erroneously linked the decision to the budget of the MU athletic program. There is no relationship between the two budgets, historically or currently." Yeah, those football dollars look nothing at all like the book dollars. The football dollars have Gary Pikel on them; the others have Mark Twain. And, of course, there's no way the University could ever prevail on a donor to give money for books. A few weeks ago, President Wolfe’s spokesperson, Jennifer Hollingshead, said that comparing the press’s subsidy to the football coach’s salary makes no sense. It’s like “comparing apples and bowling balls,” she said. Of course, you can compare any two things – a university press and Walmart, for instance (which is what Pres. Wolfe did). And apples, we know, are natural, various, and the source of humanity’s knowledge, while bowling balls are uniform, unyielding and used to knock things over.