Wednesday, August 20, 2014

All-time assist leader returns to volleyball program

In 2005, the Missouri volleyball team said goodbye to Lindsey Hunter, arguably the program’s most decorated alumnus. Three years later, the team is welcoming her back. Coach Wayne Kreklow confirmed Thursday that Hunter had returned to the program to finish her degree and assist the volleyball program in a capacity still to be determined.

“We’re trying to work with (NCAA) compliance to try and structure what her title is going to be to allow her to actually work with us and be more of a coach rather than an office person,” Kreklow said.

Hunter, Missouri's all-time leader in assists and assists per game, returns after two-and-a-half years with United States National Team. During her four-year career at MU, Hunter averaged 13.73 assists per game, the sixth-highest total in NCAA history. Despite all of her success at Missouri, Hunter did not crack the national team’s 12-player roster for the Beijing Olympics. Of the national team’s four setters, coaches opted to play 32-year-old Robin Ah Mow-Santos and 28-year-old Lindsey Berg, the group’s elder statesmen.

“Those setters that they take have prior Olympic experience and are in their late twenties or early thirties,” Kreklow said. “Lindsey’s still pretty young in terms of that type of competition.”

Hunter’s return to MU was prompted by her desire to finish out her degree. The Missouri athletic department lists her major as business administration.

“Anytime you can get somebody who was that great of a collegiate player and now with that much experience as a national team player, it’s just awesome to get those people back,” Kreklow said. “You see that around the athletic department as a whole. We’ve had some great people come back in the track program, in wrestling with Ben Askren… It’s just great to have those kind of people around.”

Hunter joined the team during the final week of August in preparation for the team’s season opening tournament in Provo, Utah. Hunter was not immediately available for comment.