Anderson will stay at Missouri

Despite the Memphis coaching job officially opening up, with John Calipari going to Kentucky, Missouri coach Mike Anderson will be staying in Columbia, according to a PowerMizzou.com report.

The report says that Anderson has agreed to a base salary of $1.6 million per year plus incentives that could take him to $2.28 million annually. It goes on to say that Anderson rejected Georgia's $2.3 million offer.

Missouri associate director of media relations Dave Reiter confirmed the contract this evening, saying that Anderson and Missouri have agreed in principle to a seven-year deal that aims to keep Anderson on the Mizzou Arena sideline through the 2015-16 season.

“We are excited Coach Anderson is going to be at the University of Missouri for a long time,” MU Athletic Director Mike Alden said in a news release. “He’s done a tremendous job rebuilding our basketball tradition and is poised to lead our program to new heights in the coming years.”

Although the agreement is in place, the financial details of the contract will not be confirmed until the contact has been fully completed.

In three seasons, Anderson is 65-34 at Missouri, bringing his career record to 154-76. Anderson led this year's team to the Elite Eight, tying the program's best finish. Missouri's 31-win total this season was a school record.

For his efforts, Anderson was named as a finalist for Coach of the Year honors.

Anderson reportedly showed no interest in the vacancy at Memphis, the Conference USA powerhouse that MIssouri defeated in the NCAA Tournament last week. Anderson's wife, Marcheita, hails from Memphis.

The head coaching vacancy at Georgia would have allowed Anderson to return the Southeastern Conference, where he was an assistant coach at Arkansas during the Razorbacks' championship run under head coach Nolan Richardson. Georgia athletic director Damon Evans was unavailable for comment this afternoon.

Stay with TheManeater.com for more coverage. Senior Staff Writer Ross Taylor contributed to this report.

April 1, 2009 at 11:16 a.m.

Joe Concerned: If the coach made it clear that he was going to remain at MO, why was he even given that raise??? What a great message being sent: the University is in a budget crisis, yet money is quickly doled out for coaches and other athletics. Way to go, MU...

April 2, 2009 at 12:20 a.m.

Drake Braddock: Dear Joe, Shut up.... Thanks, Drake