Saturday, December 20, 2014

Missouri wrestling opens conference season Friday night

The Missouri wrestling team begins conference play Friday night against Nebraska in Lincoln, Neb. The Tigers are on a four-match winning streak after routing all three of their opponents in the Northeast last weekend.

Missouri beat Hofstra 34-7 in Hempstead, N.Y., last Friday, and followed up that win with a 34-7 victory over George Mason and a 31-9 victory over Drexel in Philadelphia on Saturday.

Freshman Brad Wisdom, who had been out of the line-up after being very successful at 125 pounds for Missouri, wrestled at 133 pounds for the first time this season. Wisdom went 2-1 last weekend, as did freshman Eric Wilson, who took over at 125 pounds. The bottom of the line-up has been a weak point for the Tigers, who could really use some production going into conference play.

At the top of the line-up, No. 17 redshirt freshman Brent Haynes and No. 10 sophomore Dorian Henderson both went 3-0 last weekend. Henderson won all of his matches at 174 pounds, and Haynes won all of his at 197 pounds. Haynes has continued to be a pleasant surprise for the Tigers after beginning the season unranked.

Missouri stars No. 5 heavyweight senior Mark Ellis and No. 5 184-pounder senior Max Askren were rested over the weekend, with Ellis wrestling once and Askren not at all. Both wrestlers will be very important as the Tigers head into conference play.

The matchup with Nebraska will be the Tigers last before a momentous home weekend against top ten teams. No. 9 Oklahoma will visit on Feb. 6 and No. 4 Oklahoma State will visit the following day.