Friday, September 19, 2014

Missouri wrestling heads to No. 2 Iowa State

Missouri had a disappointing weekend against No. 9 Oklahoma and No. 4 Oklahoma State, losing both matches by 15 points. Seniors Nick Marable and Max Askren were the only Missouri wrestlers to win both of their matches over the weekend, and senior Mark Ellis and redshirt freshman Brent Haynes were the only other Tigers to win a match.

Although he lost both of his matches, junior Todd Schavrien showed promise for Missouri. Against Oklahoma, Schavrien lost to No. 3 sophomore Zach Bailey 3-0 and did not allow Bailey to take him down. On Sunday, Schavrien lost 7-6 to No. 8 sophomore Jamal Parks of Oklahoma State. Although he did not win, Schavrien was no easy victory for either of his top 10 opponents.

The biggest disappointment of the weekend came from the Tigers lighter weights, particularly redshirt freshman Nathan McCormick, who suffered technical falls in both of his matches at 133 pounds. At 125 pounds, freshman Eric Wilson lost by major decision in both of his matches.

Missouri coach Brian Smith may turn to freshman Brad Wisdom to wrestle at 125 or 133 pounds this weekend. Wisdom is 13-2 at 125 pounds this season, and 2-1 at 133 pounds.

Missouri has a very tough test on Sunday at No. 2 Iowa State. Iowa State beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, and has suffered just two losses this season, both at the hands of undefeated No. 1 Iowa.

The Missouri seniors, who were recognized and received a standing ovation before their last home dual on Sunday, will have to continue to wrestle well for Missouri to have a chance against Iowa State. All three seniors are currently ranked fifth in their weight classes.