Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Three Missouri swimmers qualify for finals at Grand Prix

In the first day of the Missouri Grand Prix, hosted at the Mizzou Aquatic Center, five Missouri swimmers qualified for finals. Freshman Rachel Ripley, senior Molly Bollen and sophomore Yaniv Schnaider all qualified for the A-final of their events.

Ripley finished in fourth place in 100-meter breaststroke final with a time of 1:11.56, two tenths of a second better than her time in the preliminaries.

Bollen finished in fifth place in the 100-meter butterfly final with a time of 1:03.28, slightly slower than her time in the preliminaries. Missouri has no more home meets this season, so this was Bollen’s last race in her home pool.

On the men’s side, Shnaider finished in seventh place in the 400-meter individual medley final with a time of 4:37.66, .6 seconds better than his time in the preliminaries.

Chloe Sutton, a U.S. Olympian in open water swimming, won the women’s 200-meter freestyle final and finished third in the 400-meter individual medley final. Sutton is a two-time national champion in the Open Water 10k.

Two-time USA Olympian Ryan Lochte hopes to swim tomorrow in either the 50-meter freestyle or the 100-meter backstroke. Lochte, who has been out of the pool for seven months recovering from a knee injury, sat out Friday.

“The reason why I’m here basically is to see what my knee can handle and what it can’t,” Lochte said.

Lochte will see how the knee feels in the pool Saturday morning and make a decision about whether or not he will race.

Due to blizzards in the Northeast, the North Baltimore Aquatic Club (NBAC) was not able to attend the meet. U.S. National Team members Michael Phelps, Elizabeth Pelton, and Felicia Lee are all members of the NBAC.