Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Missouri men's basketball wins at Nebraska

Coming off its impressive 82-77 win over No. 15 Texas on Wednesday, Missouri did not let up against Nebraska. On Saturday, the Tigers (20-7, 8-4 Big 12) tamed the Cornhuskers 74-59 in Lincoln, Neb.

Sophomore guard Marcus Denmon was the main attraction on the evening, netting 24 points. Denmon was 8-of-12 from the field and 5-of-7 from beyond the arc. Prior to the game, he was mired in a 3-for-13 slump from 3-point range.

Denmon had plenty of help from his teammates. Senior guard Zaire Taylor scored 18 points and grabbed a team-leading eight rebounds.

The Tigers won the battle on the boards 30-24. In addition to Taylor's eight, senior forward Keith Ramsey grabbed seven rebounds, one game after recording a double-double.

Things didn’t look to be going the Tigers’ way early on when NU took an 11-1 lead and it took nearly five minutes for MU to get a field goal. Once sophomore forward Laurence Bowers broke through with a layup at 15:55, Nebraska’s lead quickly evaporated and the Tigers held a 35-33 lead at the half.

MU then held the lead for the majority of the second half, with its advantage growing as high as 17 points.

Its victory gave Missouri the season sweep over Nebraska; the Tigers took care of the Cornhuskers 70-53 Jan. 23.

Missouri will look to extend its winning streak to three on Wednesday when Colorado visits Mizzou Arena at 6:30 p.m.