Thursday, July 24, 2014

Tiger wrestlers prepare for Big 12 Championships

Missouri will come into the Big 12 Championships on March 6 well rested following a 20-day break since its last meet. For half of the wrestlers, this will be their first appearance in the Big 12 Championships.

Redshirt freshman Brent Haynes made headlines at 197 pounds in his first dual with a decision over then-No. 12 senior Patrick Bond of Illinois on Nov. 12. Haynes also won a big decision over then-No. 5 sophomore Alan Gelogaev of Oklahoma State on Feb. 7, and catapulted into the top ten. He is the only Missouri wrestler making his first Big 12 Championships appearance who is ranked in the top ten.

Sophomore Patrick Wright has stuck with some tough opponents this season at 157 pounds. Wright is 19-12 and lost by a score of 5-2 against two ranked opponents three weeks ago.

At 133 pounds, redshirt freshman Nathan McCormick struggled during conference play, and was the only Tiger to go 0-4. At both 149 and 125 pounds, Missouri will send wrestlers that did not start in the opening match against Illinois. Sophomore Scott O’Donnell went 4-4 in duals after replacing junior Brandon Wiest at 149 pounds, and freshman Eric Wilson went 3-4 in duals after replacing freshman Brad Wisdom at 125 pounds.