Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Six Missouri wrestlers headed to next week's NCAA Championships

Six Missouri wrestlers will compete at the NCAA Championships in Omaha, Neb., on March 18-20. All six wrestlers are currently ranked, and three hold top-10 rankings. Thirty-three wrestlers at each weight class qualify for the NCAA Championships, and the top 12 at each weight class receive a seeding.

Senior No. 5 Nick Marable is the only Tiger who will enter the tournament coming off of a title at the Big 12 Championships. Marable became the first wrestler in Missouri history to win three straight conference titles with his 6-5 decision over Iowa State junior No. 2 Jon Reader at 165 pounds on March 6. Marable is the No. 3-seed in his bracket and will face redshirt sophomore Nick Amuchastegui of Stanford in his first match.

Seniors No. 5 Max Askren and No. 6 Mark Ellis and redshirt freshman No. 11 Brent Haynes are all seeded in their brackets. Ellis is the No. 9 seed in the heavyweight bracket that he won last season. Ellis finished fifth at the Big 12 Championships, but did not win a conference title on his way to a national title last season. Askren is the No. 6 seed in the 184-pound bracket, and Haynes is the No. 12 seed in the 197-pound bracket.

Sophomore Dorian Henderson and junior Todd Schavrien are both unseeded qualifiers for the NCAA Championships. In the 174-pound bracket, Henderson will face senior Shane Riccio of Bucknell. If Henderson wins he will likely face senior Stephen Dwyer of Nebraska, who is the No. 4 seed. Schavrien’s first match will be against top-seeded freshman Kyle Dake of Cornell.