Saturday, July 26, 2014

Maneater Bracketology: Bubble continues to tighten; big games coming today

Earlier today the first bubble truly burst when Houston took the Conference-USA championship, leaving regular season champs UTEP to get an automatic bid, which they probably will.

So who's in and who's out because of that and the other action that's been going down during Championship Week? Here's my breakdown:

Currently in:

Florida: Despite a loss to Mississippi State in the SEC quarterfinals, the Gators should be safe. But if the bubble continues to tighten, we could see them fall out.

Illinois: A win Friday against Wisconsin might have been enough, but winning today against Ohio State would essentially lock them in.

Virginia Tech: ACC tournament mayhem is ensuing, and VTU factors in as the team that's suffering on the bubble because of it. They're safe for now but could be left out.

Washington: Assuming the Pac-10 gets two bids, the Huskies will be that second team. They could also still get the auto bid if they beat Cal tonight.

Currently out:

Rhode Island: Houston bumps them out of the tourney for now, but the Rams are getting demolished by Temple and will likely head to the NIT.

Minnesota: The Gophers could give the Big Ten six teams, but they'll have to beat Purdue to do so.

Mississippi State: The Bulldogs play Vanderbilt today in the SEC semifinals, but they'll likely need to win the conference to dance.

Ole Miss: A loss to Tennessee all but sealed the Rebels' fate in the NIT.

Seton Hall: With Houston's win and fellow bubble teams Washington, Illinois and Mississippi State winning conference tournament games, the Pirates' early exit in the Big East will probably keep them from dancing.

March 14, 2010 at 12:15 p.m.

jeremy: How can Georgetown (23 - 10) at number seven in the Big East and 22 in the nation...be a number 2 seed and Gonzaga 14th in the nation and 2 nd in the WAC be a 7 seed? I dont get it. Anyone have an idea how the brackets are setup? thanks