Tuesday, July 22, 2014

MU baseball outlasts Xavier in 13

Redshirt freshman pinch hitter Andreas Plackis hit a sacrifice fly in the 13th inning on Friday to give Missouri a 7-6 victory over Xavier. Junior third baseman Andrew Thigpen scored the winning run for the Tigers. Thigpen pinch ran for junior third baseman Brett Nicholas in the eighth inning. Nicholas led the team with three hits on Friday.

The Tigers got off to a 4-0 first inning lead against the Musketeers. Nicholas and freshman second baseman Eric Garcia each grounded into RBI fielder’s choices before junior designated hitter Jonah Schmidt hit a two-run home run.

“I was just looking for a pitch to drive,” Schmidt said. “[The pitcher] had already been working a lot in that inning so I just tried going early in the count. I timed up a fastball and I was able to get one a little bit elevated and I hit it pretty good.”

The Tigers held that lead into the third inning before Xavier exploded for five runs on six hits and one error.

In the bottom of the third inning, an RBI single by Garcia tied the game at five. The Tigers had a chance to do more damage with the bases loaded and one out, but freshman right fielder Dane Opel flew out to left field and Nicholas was thrown out trying to tag up and score.

In the bottom of the fourth inning, senior shortstop Michael Liberto scored on a sacrifice fly by freshman center fielder Brannon Champagne to give Missouri a 6-5 lead. But Xavier was able to tie up the game with an RBI base hit by junior shortstop Phil Bauer in the top of the fifth inning. The game remained tied until the 13th inning.

Starting freshman pitcher Eric Anderson pitched five innings, allowed 10 hits and giving up all six Xavier runs. Sophomore Jeff Emens was the winning pitcher for the Tigers. He pitched four and a third innings, allowing two hits and no runs.