Thursday, April 24, 2014
Posted to Sports Blog by Michael Sewall on March 18, 2010 at 1:56 p.m.

Early action provides thrilling games

Boy, did March Madness return with a bang. The early games today have not disappointed, with one upset, one double overtime game and another overtime game providing thrills in the first few matchups.

No. 11 Old Dominion def. No. 6 Notre Dame, 51-50: The Irish slowed the pace to how they like it, but Old Dominion never gave up and was able to shut down ND's top player, Luke Harangody, to just 2-for-9 shooting.

No. 7 BYU def. No. 10 Florida, 99-92 (2OT): Florida lost its top scorer to fouls in the second overtime, and BYU was able to pull away.

No. 2 Villanova def. No. 15 Robert Morris, 73-70 (OT): What a heartbreaking loss for Robert Morris, which had a great chance at pulling the upset.

So what does this early action tell us?

1. Villanova is still in a funk like it was toward the end of its regular season. Look for a loss to the Richmond-Saint Mary's winner Saturday.

2. Old Dominion has what it takes to make an Elite 8 run.

3. BYU could beat Kansas State in the second round, but they won't move past the Sweet 16.

More tight games have already begun. Baylor and Sam Houston State are going back and forth midway through the first half, and Vanderbilt and Murray State are playing in a tight one as well. Check back to themaneater.com/maneater-madness for updates throughout the evening.

Reader comments