Tuesday, October 21, 2014

MU baseball welcomes North Dakota for four-game set

The Missouri baseball team will host North Dakota in a four game series this weekend. Missouri is 7-6 after a series win over Xavier last weekend, and North Dakota is 1-6.

Although they have won seven games, Tiger pitchers have allowed 71 runs this season through just 13 games. Though some pitchers have struggled, junior Tyler Clark has been lights out so far this season. Clark has given up just three hits in nine innings of work this season, and has struck out 12 batters. Clark recorded his first save of the season in a 4-2 win over Xavier on Saturday.

Sophomore Jeff Emens has also recorded a save for Missouri. Emens has a 2.45 ERA and six strikeouts through 11 innings of work. He was also the winning pitcher for the Tigers in their dramatic 7-6 victory over Xavier in 13 innings on Friday.

The Tigers will need more pitchers to perform as well as Clark and Emens as they move through the season.

The lone seniors on the team, first baseman Aaron Senne and shortstop Michael Liberto, will look to continue to lead the offense this weekend. Senne is batting .333 with four home runs and Liberto is batting .429 with nine RBI. Junior third baseman Brett Nicholas is batting .372 and leads the team with 14 RBI.