Saturday, August 23, 2014

Baseball sweeps North Dakota in twin bill

The Missouri baseball team won both games of a doubleheader against North Dakota on Friday. The Tigers won the first game with a 7-3 score. The difference in the game was a four-run third inning. Four players had two hits, including junior third baseman Brett Nicholas who continued to surge with four RBI. Junior Zack Hardoin made his first start of the season for Missouri, allowing one earned run in four innings of work. Hardoin struck out four hitters.

The Tigers won the second game with a 6-0 score. For the third game in a row, the Tigers went on a scoring surge in the bottom of the third inning. An early error by North Dakota junior pitcher Sam Anderson gave way to three runs on four hits for the Tigers. Freshman second baseman Eric Garcia hit his first career home run with a three-run shot in the sixth inning to double the Tigers lead.

“He was pounding me inside all game and I just stepped off of the plate a little bit and tried to drive it,” Garcia said.

Junior Nick Tepesch was the starting pitcher for the Tigers. He threw six shutout innings and struck out eight batters.

Junior catcher Ryan Ampleman was given the day off. Freshman Kale Gaden, who had a big game Thursday night, was the catcher for the Tigers in the first game, and Nicholas got a start at catcher in the second game. Junior Andrew Thigpen started in place of Nicholas at third base.