First-day recap: Winners and losers

The start to NCAA Tournament action Thursday was the best we've seen in years. There were two buzzer-beaters, three overtime games, seven lower seeds winning and 11 of the 16 games were airtight.

So who made the most of the situation, and who's struggling? Here's the winners and losers from day one of the tourney:

Winners

Fans: Like I said, this was a great day of basketball to watch. The downswing in overall talent this year provides a more competitive field that will be lots of fun to watch.

Tennessee: The Volunteers avoided a second-round matchup with Georgetown when the Hoyas were upset by No. 14 Ohio. Now the Vols are likely to move into the Sweet 16.

Saint Mary's: The Gaels looked great against Richmond and now gets a floundering Villanova team in the second round.

Losers

The Big East: Nova survived an embarrassing loss to No. 15 Robert Morris, and that's actually the best the league could muster. Notre Dame and Marquette were upset by No. 11 seeds, and Georgetown looked awful against Ohio.

Texas: In what could be dubbed as "The Most Exciting Game With the Least Intriguing Teams," Texas fell to Wake Forest on a last-second jumper in overtime. Both teams were horrible down the stretch, but it was Texas that now takes the throne for most underachieving team.

Barack Obama: The president, like many other bracket enthusiasts, took a hit because of the Big East. He actually did pretty well (12 of 16 correct picks), but down the road could be haunted by this day. He had Georgetown in the Elite 8 and Marquette in the Sweet 16.