Thursday, July 31, 2014

Rethinking the South Region bracketology

After the first round of action, there's a lot to rethink about the NCAA Tournament. Unexpected upsets and tight games across the board prove this will be an extremely competitive tournament. So here's my latest predictions for the second round and the Sweet 16 for the South Region:

Best team: No. 4 Purdue. This team was playing for a No. 1 seed before star Robbie Hummel went down to injury. As he went down, so did Purdue's seeding and expectations. But they played together as a team Friday to take down Siena and could prove they deserved a higher seeding if they keep winning.

Contenders: Nos. 1-3 (Duke, Villanova, Baylor) are the most likely to win this region, but don't count out No. 5 Texas A&M. The Aggies looked great against Utah State.

Best matchup: Texas A&M vs. Purdue pits two better teams against each other, but Villanova against Saint Mary's will be a tighter game.

Game we want to see: No. 1 Duke vs. No. 4 Purdue. A lot of people are rooting for Duke, but imagine the underdog factor in Purdue against the Blue Devils. This would be a great matchup.

Cinderella: No. 10 Saint Mary's. They get a struggling Villanova team in the second round and either Baylor or Old Dominion in the Sweet 16. Translation: The easiest road of those four teams to make the Elite 8.

Sweet 16 picks: No. 1 Duke, No. 4 Purdue, No. 3 Baylor, No. 10 Saint Mary's

So, who wins?: I still have to go with the top-seeded Duke for now.

March 20, 2010 at 1:02 p.m.

i HATE IU: not many people give purdue any credit. even without hummel they can still play some good basketball. purdue I think purdue could pull an upset against duke. but more people need to belive in the boilers they are better than most people think. so thank you for giving purdue some credit. BOILER UP!