Friday, August 1, 2014

Marable takes Big 12 title

At the Big 12 Wrestling Championships in Norman, Okla., on Saturday, senior No. 5 Nick Marable was the only Missouri wrestler to win a title. Marable won the third title of his career at 165 pounds with a victory over rival junior No. 2 Jon Reader of Iowa State. Reader beat Marable 3-2 when they last met in Ames, Iowa, three weeks ago.

Marable scored the first takedown of the match in the first period, but Reader was able to respond and the first period ended in a 3-3 tie. Reader took a 4-3 lead with an escape in the second period and started on top in the third period. Marble was able to get an escape and a takedown in the third period to win the match 6-5.

In the semifinals, earlier in the day, Marable beat redshirt freshman No. 8 Alex Meade of Oklahoma State by a 2-1 score. With the two victories, Marable improved to 33-3 on the season. He is the first wrestler in school history to win three consecutive Big 12 titles.

Missouri senior No. 5 Max Askren finished in second place yesterday at 184 pounds. Junior No. 17 Todd Schavrien and redshirt freshman Nick Hucke both managed third place finishes, Schavrien at 141 pounds and Hucke at 149 pounds. Hucke wrestled for the Tigers in only one dual meet this season, but won two of his three matches in Norman.