Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Missouri soccer drops two in Chapel Hill

Missouri soccer lost both games of the North Carolina Tournament in Chapel Hill this weekend. The Tigers lost to No. 19 Duke 3-1 on Friday, and to No. 1 North Carolina on Sunday.

Missouri took a 1-0 lead into halftime against Duke following a goal in the twenty-fourth minute. Senior midfielder Krista Kruse scored the lone Tiger goal, which was assisted by senior forward Alysha Bonnick. Bonnick kicked a short cross to Kruse who scored the goal. However, Duke scored three goals in the second half to take the victory.

Bonnick continued a solid weekend with an unassisted second-half goal against North Carolina. The Tigers trailed 2-0 after the first half before Bonnick stole the ball from a defender and scored. But the top-ranked Tar Heels would add on four more goals in the second half for a decisive victory.

Although she did not score, freshman Dominique Richardson had a strong weekend offensively with eight shots on goal. Six of those shots on goal came against North Carolina.

The Tigers are now 0-3-0 on the season and have one more weekend road trip before playing their first game at home on Sept. 10 against Arkansas. Missouri will play at DePaul next Friday and at Northwestern next Sunday.