Prized recruit Mitchell reportedly enrolling at North Texas

Coveted basketball recruit Tony Mitchell was not cleared by the NCAA to enroll at Missouri, the school announced Wednesday afternoon.

A report from the Denton Record-Chronicle stated Wednesday morning that Mitchell is now planning to enroll at North Texas.

Mitchell, the No. 12 prospect in the 2012 recruiting class according to Rivals.com, had initially committed to Missouri before facing eligibility problems.

After attending the Center of Life Academy in Miami, Fla., Mitchell transferred to Pinkston High for his senior year, and the Dallas Independent School District and the NCAA called into question several transfer credits he brought over in the process.

The source told the Record-Chronicle that Mitchell would be on campus at North Texas Wednesday.

"I'm very disappointed for Tony and his family," Missouri coach Mike Anderson said in a press release. "Tony is an outstanding young man, someone that has worked diligently to attend our university. He has shown great resolve during a difficult situation and we will continue to do whatever is allowable to help him as we move forward."

The Tigers continue the season Saturday on the road against the Texas Longhorns.

Jan. 26, 2011 at 2:39 p.m.

All About UNT: Well Coach Anderson....the Mean Green aren't disappointed about his choice. I am sure that Tony's parents would love the opportunity to see him play at the SuperPit...so I am sure they are not disappointed as well. Welcome to the Mean Green Nation Tony!

Feb. 1, 2011 at 6:49 p.m.

cxb19: All about....you do understand that they quote of Coach Anderson was made without ANY knowledge of his attending UNT...however you don't seem to wonder why is he eligible to play at UNT but not MU??? Standards! We wish Tony the best, but don't come to this site attempting to trash our coach with your ignorant comments!

April 13, 2011 at 6:26 p.m.

Bookie Services: Wait...WHY was he not approved to play for MU? If it was over some "questionable" transfer credits then I think that has to be one of the dumbest reasons I've ever heard!