Friday, August 29, 2014

Laurence Bowers tears ACL, to miss 2011-12 season

Missouri senior forward Laurence Bowers will miss the entire 2011-12 basketball season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament, the Missouri athletic department confirmed Tuesday.

Bowers suffered the injury during a pickup basketball game Monday. He retains one year of eligibility in 2012-13.

“This is just difficult news for an outstanding young man and representative of our athletics department,” coach Frank Haith said in a statement. “I have had a chance to talk with Laurence a few times and he is doing well. I know he is anxious to get started on his rehabilitation and he will continue to be a big part of the 2011-12 team. It’s obviously a tough loss for us as a basketball team. He’s an All-Big 12 type player. He’s one of our best defenders and he brings a great deal of versatility, but our primary concern is to help Laurence through the recovery process.”

Bowers was Missouri's second-best scorer last season, averaging 11.6 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. Without Bowers, Ricardo Ratliffe and Steve Moore are the only experienced players for Missouri taller than 6-6. Ratliffe had a strong first season in 2010 after transferring from Central Florida Community College, averaging 10.6 points and 6.0 rebounds per game while earning the Big 12 Newcomer of the Year award.

The only other big man on the roster is 6-foot-8-inch redshirt freshman Kadeem Green, who missed all of last season after rupturing his Achilles' tendon.