Saturday, August 30, 2014

MU confirms Oregon recruit Jabari Brown's transfer

MU confirmed Tuesday that Oregon freshman shooting guard Jabari Brown will sign a grant-in-aid-agreement and transfer to Missouri. If Brown enrolls at MU before the start of the second semester, he will be eligible to play in December of next season.

“We are obviously very excited to welcome Jabari to Mizzou,” coach Frank Haith said. “He really brings with him a very complete skill set. He has good size and great athleticism and really knows how to score. He is a good kid that comes from a great family and I have no doubt that he will fit in well here at Mizzou."

Brown was a five-star recruiting gem as Rivals.com’s No. 19-ranked player in the 2011 class and a Jordan Brand All-American. He started two games at Oregon this season before abruptly departing. In those first two games Brown averaged six points, two rebounds and a team-high 5.5 turnovers.

Reasons for Brown’s have not been elaborated.

“One thing I would like to get out there is that he didn't do anything wrong,” said David Brown, Jabari's father. “He didn't break any laws, he didn't do drugs.”

Over the summer Brown led the Ducks in their tour of Italy playing against professional Italian squads. In the five games he played in he averaged 15.4 points while shooting .415.

In high school, Brown was named a Jordan Brand All-American while averaging 23.8 points a game over his career.

Rumors of a potential transfer to MU began when Brown attended an official visit to the university earlier this month. He watched practice Dec. 9 and the next day watched the Tigers’ 84-59 victory over Navy at Mizzou Arena in a hoodie and sweats.

Before the game’s tipoff, senior forward Laurence Bowers, an All-Big 12 Conference performer set to return next season from ACL injury, walked Brown up the stands to meet the Antlers, the student section group commonly referred to as the loudest fans at home games.

Brown will be the program’s third transfer on scholarship next season, alongside Earnest Ross from Auburn and Keion Bell from Pepperdine.

"I'll just say it was a tough decision to leave when you know these young men will be raked over the coals when people don't have any idea what's going on," Brown’s mother, Fannie, told ESPN about her son’s transfer. ”We thank (Oregon) coach (Dana) Altman and his staff for what they did for Jabari. It was a decision he made, and we will always support our boy."