Saturday, December 20, 2014

Miami's Haith picked to replace Anderson, ESPN confirms

Citing a "source with knowledge of Missouri's search," several reports Sunday indicated that University of Miami men's basketball coach Frank Haith is set to take over as the thirteenth coach of the Missouri Tigers.

The story was originally reported by Sports By Brooks and The Columbia Daily Tribune and has since been confirmed by the Associated Press and ESPN’s Andy Katz. Additionally, Katz reports MU's deal with Haith could be in the form of a six-year contract.

MU Athletics Department spokesman Chad Moller and university officials have refused comment on the search for a new Missouri men's basketball coach, but the UM System Board of Curators will meet in a closed session at 7:45 Monday night, presumably regarding the potential hiring.

Haith has gone 126-94 in his seven seasons as head coach at Miami. In Atlantic Coast Conference play, he has posted a record of 40-63.

Miami’s best season under Haith came in 2008 when they finished the season 23-11 and reached the second round of the NCAA tournament. That team went 8-8 in conference play, good for fifth in the ACC.

Before taking over at Miami in 2004, Haith coached for three seasons under Rick Barnes at Texas. His other stops included Texas A&M, Wake Forest, UNC-Wilmington, Penn State and Wake Forest a second time.

Missouri previously targeted Purdue coach Matt Painter for the job, but he reaffirmed his commitment to his alma mater last week.