Saturday, November 1, 2014

MU makes it official: Haith is in as new head coach

MU's hiring of Frank Haith as Missouri's next men's basketball head coach was finalized Monday. Haith held a record of 126-94 in his seven seasons as head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. Courtesy of The Miami Hurricane

The UM System Board of Curators ended days of speculation Monday by finalizing the hiring of Frank Haith to replace Mike Anderson as Missouri's men's basketball head coach.

Athletics Director Mike Alden released the details of Haith's contract at a news conference Monday at Mizzou Arena. Haith, who Alden said was the only person offered Missouri's head coaching job, will receive $1.5 million annually for five years and $100,000 in deferred annual compensation with 1 year auto extension starting in 2012.

In the news conference, Alden addressed fans' reactions to MU hiring the relatively little-known Haith.

"We have very passionate fans," Alden said. "And I think when you're announcing a new coach and there isn't a lot known about the particular candidates, and someone comes to the forefront that not a lot of people know about, in that time of uncertainty, that emotion comes out."

Haith praised MU's facilities and fans in a news release Monday night.

“I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for this university and this program," Haith said. "I coached against Norm Stewart. The support of the students and administration is second-to-none and the tradition is outstanding."

Alden expressed his confidence in Haith to lead the Tigers over the next five years.

"We're confident that when we place Frank and this team in the environment with the resources we have, we believe with all those skill sets, there's no doubt he is going to be able to (succeed)," Alden said.

Haith held a record of 126-94 in his seven seasons as head coach of the Miami Hurricanes. In Atlantic Coast Conference play, he has posted a record of 40-63.

Miami’s best season under Haith came in 2008 when they finished the season 23-11 and reached the second round of the NCAA tournament. That team went 8-8 in conference play, good for fifth in the ACC.

Before taking over at Miami in 2004, Haith coached for three seasons under Rick Barnes at Texas. His other stops included Texas A&M, Wake Forest, UNC-Wilmington, Penn State and Wake Forest a second time.