Monday, November 24, 2014

Auburn basketball MVP granted transfer to Missouri

Auburn guard and 2011 Auburn basketball MVP Earnest Ross has signed a grant-in-aid transfer agreement with MU, Missouri head coach Frank Haith announced Tuesday morning. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound Ross will be forced to sit out the 2011-12 season per NCAA transfer guidelines, but will retain two more years of eligibility.

“We are excited to have Earnest join the family here at Mizzou,” Haith said in a news release. “I had a chance to watch Earnest as a high school player and have been extremely impressed with his improvement over the last few years. He is a young man that is dedicated to the game and will have a chance to make a big impact here at Missouri. Most importantly, Earnest is a great young man. His parents are a part of the United States Navy, so he is disciplined and driven to succeed.”

Ross was named the Auburn Most Valuable Player in his sophomore season after improving his point production from 2.8 points per game to 13.1, the best improvement in the Southeastern Conference. He scored 20 points five times, leading the Tigers in scoring in 13 games. Once he's eligible to play, Ross will provide size and scoring depth after seniors Kim English and Marcus Denmon graduate.

Ross is the first four-year transfer to Missouri since Zaire Taylor in 2007 and the first SEC transfer since DeMarre Carroll transferred from Vanderbilt in 2006.