Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Two former Tigers to play basketball in Sweden

After a season apart, former Missouri basketball standouts Keith Ramsey and Justin Safford will be playing together again this year. Both players signed professional contracts Wednesday with LF Basket Norrbotten of the Swedish Basketball League. Ramsey, a key cog in the Tigers' run to the Elite 8 in 2009, played overseas last season in Spain before returning to Columbia this spring to finish up his degree. Now, he’s ready to give European basketball another shot.

“It’s a great chance to continue playing basketball and see the world,” Ramsey said. “I’m learning more and more about the city and it looks like we are going to a real nice place with great people. And having Justin there makes it that much easier.”

Safford, meanwhile, helped Missouri to its third straight NCAA tournament appearance this past March before graduating in May. The 6-foot-9, 235-pound forward teamed up with Ramsey at a recent Las Vegas showcase event, where they both caught the eye of their new Swedish club. Safford piled up a game-high 34 points in one contest.

“It was a great weekend,” Safford said. “I felt comfortable out there and now to have us on the same team it will really help with any transition to a new country and a new culture.”