Sunday, October 26, 2014

ESPN's College Gameday to return to Missouri for Border Rivalry basketball game

After a record-breaking turnout on the Francis Quadrangle last fall, ESPN's College Gameday is coming back for a second helping. ESPN announced Thursday morning that the popular morning college basketball broadcast will return to MU on Feb. 4, the morning before the Tigers face rival Kansas.

“What an honor to have GameDay come to Columbia,” coach Frank Haith said in a news release. “We are obviously proud of what we have to showcase here. We are incredibly excited about our current team and the future of this program. We have the finest on-campus basketball facility in America and we have an incredible fan base that will create great excitement around this event and this rivalry. This is a great opportunity for the nation to see what the Mizzou experience is all about.”

This will be the first time Missouri basketball has hosted College Gameday and the second time the show has visited the Missouri campus. Last fall, College Gameday attracted a record 18,000 fans before Mizzou football’s homecoming win over No. 1 Oklahoma.

“What another great opportunity for us to showcase our university and our athletics programs,” Director of Athletics Mike Alden said. “I know Frank (Haith) and his team will be excited to have the GameDay crew at Mizzou Arena and I know our university community and the entire City of Columbia will be just as welcoming and enthusiastic as when we hosted football GameDay last year for Homecoming.”

Live coverage of the show begins at 9 a.m. on ESPNU and doors to Mizzou Arena will open at 8 a.m. Coverage picks up on ESPN at 10 a.m. CT.