Frank Haith, Miami involved in NCAA rules violations according to Yahoo! Sports report

Tags: Frank Haith

An incarcerated University of Miami booster violated NCAA rules with the direct knowledge of multiple coaches from 2002 to 2010, including current Missouri basketball coach Frank Haith, according to a report by Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday.

According to the report, Hurricanes booster Nevin Shapiro violated NCAA rules for eight years at Miami with "knowledge or direct participation" of at least seven coaches. He provided impermissible benefits worth millions of dollars to at least 72 athletes, including cash, prostitution, bounties for injuring other athletes on the field, and other acts.

Shapiro reportedly admitted to paying $10,000 to guarantee the commitment of basketball recruit DeQuan Jones in 2007. Assistant coach Jake Morton was the "conduit" for the funds, and the transaction "was later acknowledged by head coach Frank Haith in a one-on-one conversation," the Yahoo! report states.

The Yahoo! report also provided a photo of Haith and Miami president Donna Shalala receiving a $50,000 donation from Shapiro in 2008, money that Shapiro now admits was part of the $930 million Ponzi Scheme that resulted in a 20-year prison sentence.

It is unknown at this point what effect the allegations could have for Haith if proved correct. The university and Haith both responded to the allegations with statements:

UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI STATEMENT: We are aware of today's Yahoo! Sports story and the University of Missouri acknowledges that the NCAA has requested to speak with Coach Haith regarding his time at the University of Miami. As a member of the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference, the University of Missouri will cooperate fully throughout this process. Per the NCAA's request and guiding bylaws, we are unable to comment further in order to protect the integrity of their review.

COACH FRANK HAITH STATEMENT: In response to a recent news article, I can confirm that the NCAA has asked to speak with me regarding the time I spent at the University of Miami. I am more than happy to cooperate with the national office on this issue and look forward to a quick resolution. The NCAA has instructed me not to comment further at this time in order to protect the integrity of their review, so I appreciate your understanding in this matter. The reports questioning my personal interactions with Mr. Shapiro are not an accurate portrayal of my character and per the above I am unable to comment further.