Saturday, August 23, 2014

Braggin' Rights Game extended through 2017

Along with representatives from Anheuser-Busch and the Scottrade Center, the Missouri and Illinois athletic departments announced on Monday that the Bud Light Braggin’ Rights Game between the schools' men's basketball teams will stay in St. Louis for at least five more years.

The announced contract, which includes sponsorships from Anheuser-Busch and State Farm, ensures a home for the contest through 2017 at the Scottrade Center.

“The Bud Light Braggin' Rights Game has become a holiday tradition for both Mizzou and Illinois fans and this announcement is a shining example of two athletics departments working to keep tradition alive despite the changing landscape of scheduling in college basketball,” Athletics Director Mike Alden said in a news release from the press conference at the Scottrade Center.

For Missouri fans, the statement might ring as a hint to the apparent end to the Border Showdown, the rivalry match between MU and Kansas that lasted for over 100 years before the Tigers' move to the Southeastern Conference. Any athletic match between the two schools has yet to be scheduled.

What many call the nation’s premier non-conference game, this year's Braggin' Rights match will be the 32nd installment in the past 33 years. Illinois leads the all-time series, 20-11. Missouri has won the last three meetings, including coach Frank Haith’s first-ever in 2011.

“There is nothing like this game in all of college basketball,” Haith said in the release. “The fan bases are split down the middle and the enthusiasm is second to none. You add in a national television audience and the excitement of the holiday season and you get the best rivalry game of the non-league season.”

This year’s game is set for 5 p.m. on Dec. 22.