Saturday, August 30, 2014

Frank Haith suspends Michael Dixon, Dominique Bull

Missouri senior point guard Mike Dixon and freshman guard Dominique Bull have been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules, coach Frank Haith announced Monday. The violations are not related to NCAA rules or the law.

The two will not participate in the team's first exhibition game against Northwest Missouri State on Monday night at Mizzou Arena.

Haith said there is no specific timetable on when the players will return.

"Our program and our university expect our men to lead by example through these three core values: academic integrity, social responsibility and competitive excellence," Haith said. "And sometimes competitive excellence moves to number one. And when that happens, we can't tolerate that."

Dixon recently returned to practice after taking time away to focus on academics. He was suspended once by former coach Mike Anderson in December 2010 for a violation of team rules.

Dixon is the team's top returning leading scorer with 13.5 points a game coming off the bench in his junior year. He is one of two seniors to play their entire careers for the Tigers.

"We have high expectations for our students and particularly our seniors," Haith said.

The timetable for Dixon's and Bull's returns depends on their individual abilities to respond to adversity, Haith said.

"It's more about the everyday choices we make and the cumulative impact it has on our ability to be good stewards of the Missouri brand," Haith said.