Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Tigers hold on late against Wichita State for first away win

After enjoying the comforts of home in its first three games, the Missouri women’s basketball team played their first game away from Mizzou Arena on Thursday afternoon, beating Wichita State 49-44 in its first of three games in Cancun.

Missouri (4-0) led throughout most of the game, and clutch free throw shooting kept the Tigers ahead towards the end of the game. They went 5 for 6 from the line in the final two minutes to keep the game out of reach.

Senior guard Sydney Crafton sank two of those free throws, giving her two of her 14 points. Crafton was the only Tiger to crack double digits and leads the team in scoring, averaging 13.5 points per game in her first four games.

The team’s second leading scorer, junior guard Bri Kulas, finished second on the team with nine points. Freshman guard Lianna Doty scored eight points, and tied with sophomore guard Kyley Simmons for the lead in assists, recording four apiece.

Wichita State (2-2) took almost twice as many shots, 61, as Missouri, who took 34. The Shockers made just 16 of them, only two more than the Tigers.

The Tigers will look to stay undefeated Friday evening in Cancun when they face 4-1 Green Bay. The Phoenix suffered their first loss of the season Thursday, losing to James Madison by three in overtime.