Thursday, July 31, 2014

Tigers' winning streak ends in Cancun

The Missouri Tigers women's basketball team lost their touch of perfection Friday night in a 55-33 loss to the Green Bay Phoenix as the team’s four game winning streak came to a halt.

Missouri came out of the first half trailing the Phoenix 21-17 thanks to a three from Eye, a lay up from Crafton and a free throw from Doty in the last two minutes of the half.

Missouri shot 5-29 from three. Sophomore guard Morgan Eye led the way with nine points—not one Missouri player scored in double digits—shooting 3-10 from the three-point line, which was more than any other Missouri player(s) converted on combined.

Senior guard Sydney Crafton pulled down nine rebounds, but Missouri failed to convert those rebounds into points as the Tigers shot only 25% (12-48) from the field.

It didn’t take long for the Tigers to fall behind by double digits with around 14 minutes remaining in the second half.

In the next minute, the Tigers went on a run to bring the team within five points of the Phoenix, but with the Green Bay Phoenix having two players with 10 plus points along with two other players just one point shy of the double digit marker, the Phoenix made a huge run and filled up 20 unanswered points to make the Tigers wish to have a 5-0 season hopeless.

Free throws were a huge factor in the game, as the Green Bay Phoenix shot 71.4% making 15 of their 21 attempts, while the Tigers shot only seven free throws throughout the duration of the game, making only four of their attempts (57.1%).

The Tigers will finish up their three-day Cancun Challenge in Cancun, Mexico on Saturday against the Minnesota Golden Gophers. Missouri will look to go 2-1 on the event and improve to 5-1 before returning home to Mizzou Arena for their next match up.