Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Henning named all-SEC as three Tigers take postseason honors

Tags: Volleyball

Providing a happier ending to Missouri volleyball’s inaugural season in the Southeastern Conference than the 19-12 record, three Missouri players were named to the all-SEC team on Monday.

Junior outside hitter Lisa Henning was named first team and junior setter Molly Kreklow and sophomore blocker Whitney Little were second team days after a home loss to Alabama disqualified Missouri from the NCAA tournament.

“Obviously this is great recognition for our program,” coach Wayne Kreklow said in a news release. “I think for the SEC coaches to recognize the contributions that Lisa, Molly and Whitney made this season give those three a lot to be proud of. Week in and week out, those three gave a lot to our team and I think it shows with them earning postseason honors. I am proud of them and happy to see that we got three athletes recognized by the league coaches.”

Henning led the conference in kills per set (4.64) and points per set (5.28) and posted 11 of her 12 double-doubles in conference play and is the first player in program history to post back-to-back 500-kill seasons.

Molly Kreklow, the only setter named to the all-SEC preseason team, set the Tigers to a .261 hitting percentage on the year, second-highest in the conference, and tallied 19 double-doubles, second to only first-team setter Kelsey Robinson of Tennessee.

“This means a lot to me,” Molly Kreklow said in the release. “After being honored in the preseason by the league’s coaches I wanted to go out there and prove that I was one of the best setters in the league and I think I lived up to the expectations. We didn’t end up quite where we wanted to, but to be recognized for these achievements still means a lot and gives me a lot of motivation heading into next season.”

Little rewrote Missouri record books when it came to blocking, setting the single season record with 139. In just nine matches, she set the school record for 10-block performances with five.