Saturday, November 29, 2014

Dixon named in second rape accusation

Information continues to mount against Missouri senior guard Michael Dixon in his quest to return from an indefinite suspension.

Vahe Gregorian of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported earlier Thursday that Dixon had been implicated in a rape investigation in January 2010.

The report states the victim, a recently graduated MU student, declined to press charges for fear of retribution from Dixon and did not her family to know.

A nurse who examined the woman after the alleged sexual encounter told police she believed “force was involved.”

Prosecutors asked that the case remain open in case the alleged victim wanted to press charges in the future. There is no statute of limitations for rape in the state of Missouri.

The report comes two days after a Columbia Police Department offense report was uncovered linking Dixon to another rape investigation in August of this year. That case was closed Nov. 16 due to a lack of evidence.

Though MU coach Frank Haith has maintained Dixon’s suspension is regarding a “violation of team rules” and not related to academic or legal troubles, recent information has pointed to the University Student Conduct Committee taking action against the Kansas City native.

The committee operates outside legal boundaries and only needs a “preponderance of evidence” as opposed to evidence “beyond a reasonable doubt.” It also withholds the right to take action based on past incidents, according to MU news bureau executive director Mary Jo Banken, who spoke to Gregorian on Thursday.

After the committee reaches a verdict, the “defendant” has the right to appeal the decision to Chancellor Brady Deaton, who is currently in Thailand and will return Friday.

During that time, Dixon can continue to attend classes and participate with other university-sponsored activities.