Sunday, April 20, 2014
Posted to Sports Blog by Jacob Bogage on Nov. 29, 2012 at 10:24 p.m.

UPDATE: Michael Dixon to leave Missouri basketball team

UPDATE 10:24 p.m. Senior guard Michael Dixon announced he would transfer from the University of Missouri to seek basketball opportunities at another school.

The announcement ends speculation about the Kansas City native’s future at the program after two police reports linking him to rape investigations surfaced in the past three days. Dixon was already serving an indefinite suspension the team characterized as a “violation of team rules.”

“It’s been a challenging few months and while I appreciate the support of many in the Mizzou community, including my coaches and teammates, it’s in the best interest of me, my family and the University of Missouri for me to finish my career elsewhere,” Dixon said in a statement released by the athletics department.

Dixon wrote in text messages obtained by the Columbia Missourian, “Yea I’m done here bro I’m not gonna be here anymore another girl my freshman year pulled this ... on me now it’s coming out and everyone is gonna think it’s real so I’m thru bro I appreciate you tho just let as many (people) as u can know.”

He added, “I have never harmed anyone” in a later message.

The announcement comes after Dixon was linked to two rape investigations, one occurring in January 2010, which surfaced today, another occurring in August of this year, which surfaced Tuesday.

No charges have been filed against Dixon in either case. Boone County prosecutors deemed the August 2012 case lacked sufficient evidence to charge Dixon and closed the case November 16.

Prosecutors have left the January 2010 open in case the alleged victim, a recent MU graduate and former athletics department employee wishes to press charges in the future. There is no statute of limitation for rape in Missouri.

According to the offense report for the 2010 incident, the alleged victim said she was afraid of physical retribution from Dixon if charges were filed and did not want her family to know.

Coach Frank Haith suspended Dixon indefinitely October 26 for, what Haith called “a violation of team rules.”

Dixon, a Southeastern Conference preseason second-team honoree, averaged 13.5 points per game as a junior for Tigers and was named AP Sixth Man of the Year.

Reader comments