Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Brandon Holifield arrested, dismissed from team earlier in week

Tags: Football

Brandon Holifield, a tight end signee from Missouri football’s 2012 recruiting class who spent the summer practicing with the team before being redshirted, was arrested at 1:12 a.m. Sunday by Missouri State Highway Patrol for possession of up to 35 grams of marijuana and drug paraphernalia as well as for having no driver’s license and speeding (69 in a 55).

In a text, team spokesman Chad Moller said that Holifield was dismissed by the team last Wednesday for violating team policies. Holifield is no longer on Missouri’s roster.

Holifield was suspended in early October for Missouri’s game against Vanderbilt. He was one of five in freshman Dorial Green-Beckham’s car when Green-Beckham and two others were arrested for marijuana possession. Holifield was one of the two not arrested at the scene.

Holifield, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound native of Tallahassee, Fla., was a standout in both basketball and track at Godby High School. He came to Missouri with just one year of football experience, having begun playing his senior year at Godby.

Coaches were impressed with Holifield over the summer in the team’s fall camp. Holifield got looks with the second and third team offenses and often got the attention of onlookers.

One day after practice, offensive coordinator David Yost spoke of the unit’s receiving depth and said of Holifield: “…we compare him to (former Missouri tight end) Michael Egnew, who was an All-American.”