Monday, October 20, 2014

Dom Bradley sets tone early with win at NWCA All-Star Classic

Tags: Wrestling

After taking an Olympic redshirt to attempt to qualify for the 2012 Olympics, senior heavyweight Dom Bradley put himself back in the spotlight Saturday night at the 2012 NWCA All-Star Classic in Washington, D.C.. He prevailed in a 3-2 match win over Northwestern's Mike McMullan, who was ranked fifth in the nation.

The NWCA All-Star Classic is a preseason event that features the best wrestlers from all over the country. Bradley is currently ranked second in the nation in the heavyweight class.

Last year as a freshman McMullan surprised many, finishing third in the NCAA championships. He was given the rookie of the year honor.

Bradley and McMullan took to the mat for the final match in Washington. After a scoreless first period, Bradley set the tone with a takedown early in the second period and McMullan was unable to achieve a comeback.

“I've been here since I was a senior in high school. My goal and part of reason why I took the redshirt was to get some more experience and be a part of a national championship team," Bradley said at the program's first media day of the season earlier in the week.

He and the rest of the Tigers open the regular season next Saturday against Purdue and Old Dominion in West Lafayette, Ind.