UCLA wins in OT over Tigers 97-94

A career night by Missouri guard Phil Pressey was not enough for the No.7 Tigers to top UCLA Friday Night at Wooden Court. Missouri (10-2) lost to UCLA (10-3) in overtime by a score of 97-94, marking the Tiger's first loss since their Nov. 23 game against Louisville.

On the opposite side of a 15-0 run by UCLA, the Tigers struggled early in the game before Pressey started one of the more dominant offensive performances of his college career.

The senior point guard nearly broke the Tiger's single game record for assists in the first half, and would finish the game with 19. The previous record of 13 fell early in the second half when Pressey connected with guard Negus Webster-Chan on a three-pointer to bring Missouri within six.

With 8:42 left in the game, the Tigers went on a 12-0 run, giving them an 86-77 lead. UCLA answered however, with an 11-2 run to force the game into overtime.

Missouri had a chance to win the game in the final ten seconds, but a late foul on Pressey that resulted in him crashing to the floor was not ruled as a flagrant foul. The foul would have given the Tiger's the opportunity to win the game off of Pressey’s free throws.

Both Pressey and coach Frank Haith expressed their frustration with the call to officials, but to no avail.

Instead, the game went into overtime where UCLA freshman guard Shabazz Muhammad hit two three pointers to put away the game.

Both Pressey and forward Laurence Bowers tried to tie the game in the final six seconds of overtime with three-point attempts, but both shots were well short to give UCLA the win.

Bowers, who was named SEC Player of the Week last week, had 17 points and 9 rebounds. Muhammad scored a game high 27 points, while Pressey led the Tiger's with 19 points on 8-22 shooting.

Missouri’s next game will be at Mizzou Arena against Bucknell University on Jan. 5.