Wednesday, July 23, 2014

David Yost steps down as offensive coordinator

Tags: Football

Offensive coordinator David Yost resigned Monday after 12 years with the Missouri football program citing personal reasons.

Yost joined the coaching staff as the quarterbacks coach and recruiting coordinator in 2000 and was promoted to offensive coordinator in the 2008 offseason. In the fall of 2011, head coach Gary Pinkel added assistant head coach to his title.

“First off, I want to thank Coach Pinkel for an amazing 17 years,” said Yost, who joined Pinkel as a graduate assistant at Toledo before coming to MU. “He has done so much for me and I’m just so grateful for the faith that he showed in me and all of the opportunities that he sent my way. I also want to thank Mike Alden for the support he has given me personally, and to our program. Mizzou is a special place, and I know that we're positioned to do great things going forward.

Yost leaves after one of the Tigers’ worst seasons in recent memory (5-7). Missouri’s last season below .500 came in 2002.

“There are a lot of factors that played into the process of coming to my decision. I feel like I've had a great run here and that it's just the right time to turn it over to someone else. On one hand, it's a really hard decision to make, but on the other hand, I feel good that it's the right decision at the right time for me,” he added.

In that 10-year stretch of bowl appearances, Yost’s quarterbacks were among the best in the country. Brad Smith, Chase Daniel and Blaine Gabbert all play in the NFL.

Injuries to key playmakers on Yost’s offense, including junior quarterback James Franklin, senior guard Elvis Fisher and junior runningback Henry Josey crippled the Tigers’ offensive firepower.

“It is very difficult to imagine not having David as part of our staff,” Pinkel said. “I asked him to reconsider, but I respect his decision. He has been such an instrumental part of our program and everything we‘ve built since we came here. There’s hardly an aspect of our program that he hasn’t had a hand in, and we’re going to miss his leadership and energy. He was responsible for a lot of things, and he did them all very well. He was an outstanding representative of Mizzou who busted his tail for our program. He’s going to be tough to replace.”

Pinkel said he will conduct a national search for Yost’s successor, but will also consider promoting from within the current staff. A timetable for the hire has not been announced.