Monday, December 22, 2014

Moe, Bowers selected for Mizzou '39

Missouri junior T.J. Moe of the football team and senior Laurence Bowers of the basketball team were among 39 MU students selected for the Mizzou '39 award.

Members of the Mizzou Alumni Association and Alumni Association Student Board select 39 outstanding seniors for the Mizzou '39 Award, named after the year of the university's founding in 1839. The seniors become eligible for the award after applying and are selected based on their achievements in the areas of academics, leadership and service to the MU community.

Moe, Bowers and all recipients of the award will be honored at halftime of the Missouri-Baylor men's basketball game Saturday and then at the Mizzou '39 banquet later that night.

While not a senior, Moe has been a standout for the football team each of the last two seasons, when he led the Tigers in receptions. His breakout season came in 2010, a year in which his 92 receptions were good for the third-best single-season mark in program history as well as All-Big 12 Second Team honors.

In 2011, Moe's 54 receptions landed him All-Big 12 Honorable Mention. In both seasons, he was named to the Academic All-Big 12 Team.

A regular award winner, Bowers' selection to the Mizzou '39 represents the first honor he's received this basketball season. That's because the senior suffered a season-ending ACL tear in the preseason, forcing him to redshirt to come back for a final season in 2013.

Bowers has still played two very productive seasons as a Tiger, earning Big 12 recognition in both years. As a backup during the 2009-2010 season, Bowers' 10.2 points and 5.7 rebounds per game earned him a spot on the Big 12 All-Reserve Team. He also made the Academic Big 12 Second Team in 2009-2010.

The next season, Bowers became a full-time starter and, with averages of 11.6 points and 6.1 rebounds, earned himself All-Big 12 Honorable Mention and a spot on the Big 12 All-Defensive Team.