Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Missouri lands No. 2 seed in West Region, will play Norfolk State on Friday

The Big 12 Conference Tournament champion Missouri Tigers will embark on their NCAA Tournament run as a No. 2 seed in the West Region. The Tigers will take on No. 15 seed Norfolk State in the second round Friday in Omaha, Neb.

The West Region will feature Big Ten champion Michigan State as the No. 1 seed, as well as Marquette as the No. 3 seed. The West will meet in Phoenix for the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight rounds before sending a team to the Final Four in New Orleans.

Missouri landed the eighth overall seed behind one-seeds Kentucky, Syracuse, North Carolina and Michigan State and two-seeds Kansas, Duke and Ohio State, NCAA committee chair Jeff Hathaway said on CBS's selection broadcast. The Tigers were ranked No. 5 in the most recent AP Poll and were the only team ranked in the top seven to win its conference tournament over the weekend. The Tigers defeated Baylor 90-75 on Saturday in Kansas City.

Norfolk State (25-9, 13-3 Mid-Eastern Atlantic Conference) received the No. 15 seed after winning the MEAC Tournament. The Spartans finished second in the league's regular season.

Should Missouri advance past Norfolk State, it will take on the winner of No. 7 seed Florida and No. 10 seed Virginia on Sunday in Omaha.